Melbourne Slate Roof Repairs
A common problem with slate roofs that we often see is leaking that goes undetected for many years. Leaks can be easy to see inside your home with stains or water during rain. But what about outside?
It’s a common problem with slate roofing and many homeowners are unaware that it’s even happening.
Scroll down the page and we’ll give you a few of the signs to look out for.. for these sneaky external leaks.
Fill Out The Form Or Call Us On 0403 022 137
Does Your Slate Roof leak And
You Don’t Even Know It ?
Broken,moved or cracked slates down around the lower edges of your roof – the part that hangs over your external walls.
Also on any upper roof overhangs like gables and dutch gables.
From the ground, and because they’re not easy to identify until there’s obvious damage, these leaks can go on for years.
The damage can and is sometimes hidden behind spouting and gable flashings and even trees or bushes growing close to the roof hides them from sight.
How To Tell If Your Slate Roof
Has An External Leak
- Spouting suddenly falls off or just hangs onto the edge of your roof. This is due to rotting fascias or rafter tails and the screws no longer hold in them.
- Look at all timber barge boards and gable fascias…
- If they’re twisting, lifting, or when examined closely you can see the end rotting, these are signs that all is not well with the slates.
- Examine your eaves lining and exposed timber boarding…
- Rotting timber, paint flaking and peeling are all signs of small leaks that can over a few years add up to some major repairs.
All of this damage to rotting timber and loose spouting can be repaired, but it does cost money and its definitely more economical to not let it get out of hand in the first place.
Found a problem with your slate roof – or still unsure?
Contact Us we can check it out for you.
What About The Problems I Do Know About?
Roof leaks inside your home are usually much easier to see.
However, it is possible that a small leak can go undetected for months with the only tell tale sign being a bit of mold way up in the corner of your ceiling.
These small leaks, may stay small for many months but more often than not they eventually turn into bigger ones.
This internal leaking can really cause a great deal of damage to your home.
The damage can range from small water stains on ceilings, walls and carpets, right up to eventually causing large sections of plaster to come tumbling down.
This leaking can cause not only expensive repairs for your rooms, but can damage furniture and other household fittings underneath where it falls.
The Leaks That Show During Those Big Melbourne Rain Storms
One other troublesome leak that’s worth mentioning is the one that shows up during a big rainstorm.
This one’s easy to see but how do you stop it while the rain continues to pour down…. really difficult.
These usually major leaks, can cause big damage and a lot of heartache and stress and I’ve seen it on the faces of the homeowners.
Another concern here is if the leaking water gets into your electrical system and trips off the electricity.
Troublesome during the day but in the middle of the night not good at all. It usually requires the services of an electrician to sort out the power breakdown.
Why IS Slate Roof Maintenance Is Better In The Long Run?
Because there’s no reason for any slate roof not to function properly and efficiently when all that’s really needed is a bit of maintenance every so often.
How often is really determined by what shape the roofs in when first inspected. Any areas that need to be repaired, should be done then if required a maintenance program followed.
It could be every year right up to ten year intervals, just depends on the individual roof at the time.
At Abardeen we understand the urgency of a leaking slate roof, we’ll attend as soon as possible to help you.
Abardeen Slate Roof Repair Services In Melbourne: We Do It All.
- We can help you with any problem with your slate roof.
- All leaking found and solutions offered.
- Slipped, broken, cracked or damaged slates repaired promptly
- Rusted valleys, box gutters and chimney flashings replaced or repaired
- Re-cementing of terra cotta finials pickett ridging and hip cappings.
- Installation and replacement of all types of skylights.